Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Breakfast


When my children were growing up, the week was hectic.  I taught at Calvary Christian school and my wife did as well.  She fixed a hot breakfast every day for everyone and then pushed the kids out of the door on time (she pushed me out too).  But Saturday was different.  My wife slept in … at least for a few minutes.  I got up early and fixed breakfast.  It was only years later that my children revealed that they couldn’t stand my gravy.  They said that my biscuits were like hockey pucks.  I am the reason that none of my children like gravy and biscuits.  But my pancakes … now that was a different story … thanks to Bisquick.  With a good breakfast, the day started off right.  I was reminded of a certain breakfast that was prepared two thousand years ago.  After Jesus’ death and resurrection, the disciples went back to doing what they did best: fishing.  Jerusalem was too dangerous, so they escaped back to their hometown of Capernaum and the Sea of Galilee.  But after fishing all night, they came up with nothing.  Then a figure on the shore advised them to cast their nets on the other side of the boat.  And when they did, they caught “a multitude of fish”!  Peter was amazed and John identified the figure on the shore as Jesus Himself!  When the disciples arrived on the shore with their boat-full of fish, Jesus already had a breakfast of fish and bread ready.  Peter must have looked at the fire of coals … just like the fire a few days earlier where Peter had denied his Master and Lord.  But Jesus never rebuked Peter.  Jesus had nothing but kind words for Peter, and Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him three times.  Jesus allowed Peter to confirm his love the same number of times that Peter had previously denied his Lord.  Jesus loved Peter and, Jesus loves you too.  Jesus stands ready to forgive you of your sins and to give you a fresh start.  Three times, Jesus asked Peter, “Do you love me?”  And three times Peter responded, “You know that I love you!”  And if you love Jesus like Peter loved Jesus, then feed His sheep.  How do I do that? you may ask.  Meet the needs of fellow believers and meet the needs of fellow sinners.  Both of them need the Savior.  So do I.  So do you.  Hey, get involved!  Get involved with Jesus!  You’ll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment