Saturday, November 6, 2021

Dan S.


In 1969 I worked at a Texaco gas station while going to college here in Chattanooga.  I worked the afternoon shift.  The two owners of the station were pagans, but they liked the honesty of us Bible college students.  My shift was from 3pm until 11pm.  Dan S. worked the weekends, but occasionally filled in during the week.  Dan was a big college boy looking like Hoss Cartwright on Bonanza.  Dan and I were sitting outside one lazy summer afternoon when a car came down 20th St. squealing as it came.  We both looked down the street to see what was going on.  A lady came into view driving on Long St. looking distraught.  She turned left onto 20th St. coming toward us.  But she drove past the gas station and turned left again into the lot.  She turned left a third time right in front of us and stopped.  She got out of her car all upset and said, “I was just in an accident and my car won’t turn to the right!  It will only turn left, and I don’t know what to do!”  Sitting where we were, Dan and I readily saw the problem: her right fender was crunched in, stopping the right front wheel from turning right.  Dan stood up to his full height and confidently said, “I’ll take care of it, mam.”  He walked to the front fender, planted both feet, grabbed the crumpled fender with both hands, and pulled the fender right out.  He stood up and announced, “You’re good to go, mam.”  She looked relieved, got into her car, and drove off … first a left, then a right, and then another right.  I am reminded of the words of Solomon in Ecclesiastes 9:10, “Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might …”  Dan had the strength; the lady had a need; so Dan used his might to meet her need.  Hey, think about other people today.  And if you find someone in need and you can meet that need, do it with your might!

No comments:

Post a Comment