Monday, November 1, 2021

Good Fear


In 2014 I worked for Donnie C. on his farm.  I cut trim and tongue & groove pine siding.  He has since started using the barn as a wedding venue.  It looks very nice.  One day I was using my 10” table saw to cut a 2X4 block.  The wood jammed as I was finishing the cut and the block kicked back into my gut knocking the wind out of me.  I caught my breath and pulled up my shirt to look for damage.  I was only bruised.  But my thumb was bent further back than it was supposed to go.  Soon it began to hurt like it was on fire.  The doctor said that it was broken, but there was nothing to do for it except to keep it immobilized.  I have been using saws of various types for many years without a mishap.  That is, until then.  But I can’t say that anymore.  Saws are useful, but saws can be dangerous.  When I go home every evening, I count my fingers.  If I count to ten, it has been a good day.  I have a healthy respect for power tools.  And I keep that 2X4 block as a reminder to be extra careful.  David said in Psalm 111:10, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.” Did you get that?!  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.  God is good, but God should also be feared.  Just like my power saw can be misused, God can be taken advantage of.  God is a good, good Father, but God should be respected, and God should be feared.

No comments:

Post a Comment