Monday, August 1, 2022

Mistaken Again


Last Friday, we went grocery shopping.  It had been quite some time since we had gotten a full supply of groceries, and I was braced for the cost.  Kathy found some marked-down meat to put into the freezer and some day-old bread headed for the same place.  It’s good to have extra things in the freezer.  So, as the cashier scanned item after item, my heart began to race.  When the last item was totaled, it came to $205.38.  High, but not as bad as it could have been.  I got out my wallet and pulled out a pocketful of change with the other hand.  I got out two hundred-dollar bills and a five.  As I looked at my change, I had a quarter that was larger than the others.  It was a Susan B. Anthony dollar.  So I separated it out and got another dollar bill.  The cashier could give me change back for $206.  I handed her the money and waited.  She quickly looked at the money and waited.  She thought that the dollar coin was a quarter and waited for me to get out the rest of the money.  I said, “It’s a Susan B. Anthony dollar.”  She looked at the money again and shrugged while putting it into her cash drawer.  She coolly handed me the change, not wanting to admit her mistake.  I chuckled to myself.  Have you ever made a mistake, but didn’t want to admit it?  Maybe you tried to make it look like it was the other person’s fault?  Why is it so hard to admit our mistakes?  I think it’s pride.  The cashier and I had a good relationship going … until she made a tiny mistake.  Then we parted, almost as enemies.  Of course, I may have set her up for the mistake.  Hey, never be afraid to admit a mistake.  Solomon said in Proverbs 18:24, “A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly …”  Next time, I will say, “Here is a Susan B. Anthony dollar that I am trying to get rid of” and diffuse a potential misunderstanding.  Better to take the safe route and to keep friendly relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment