Saturday, August 27, 2022

On Deck


A sobering thought struck me yesterday: I am the oldest one in my family.  Oh, I have an uncle on my dad’s side and an aunt on my mother’s side who are older, but they live in Maryland and are far away from my every-day life.  But my mother is gone, my father is gone, my wife’s mother is gone, and my wife’s father is gone.  Hey, it’s just me and my wife as the king and queen of our family.  And it’s both good and bad.  It’s good because I get all of this respect that I may or not have earned.  I get a pass when carrying stuff to the family picnics.  I just walk with my dear wife while the grandkids carry everything.  We only bring side dishes if we want to.  But the bad part is that since my wife and I are the oldest, we will probably be the ones to pass on next.  There’s just a nervous sense of anticipation when you put on your batting helmet, tighten up your batting gloves, get your bat, and walk to the on-deck circle.  Oh, don’t misunderstand me.  I am looking forward to heaven, but I am satisfied to continue my work here on earth.  Paul said in Philippians 1:21&23, “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better.”  Heaven will be wonderful!  Really!  But we should be busy serving Jesus Christ down here.  Hey, be faithful to the end.  You’ll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment