Friday, August 19, 2022

Native Tongue


Kathy and I have made many trips to Romania since 1990.  Once, we were in a toy shop in Timişoara looking around and heard a man speaking with a distinct Texas drawl.  Our attention was immediately drawn to him.  My wife said, “I like your accent.  Where are you from?”  Then it was the man’s turn to be surprised.  He said to my wife, “You speak very good English!”  To which my wife replied, “I should.  I’m from Tennessee.”  On the day of Pentecost, Peter was preaching to the crowd in Jerusalem and had a similar experience as my wife.  But devout men of many nations heard Peter speaking in their native tongue … all at the same time!  Dr. Luke recorded in Acts 2:6-8, “Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?”  Peter was from backwoods Galilee speaking the wonderful words of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and each foreigner heard him, at the same time, in their own language!  What a miracle!  Hey, have you truly heard those wonderful words of life?  Have those wonderful words of life sunk deep into your soul?  I hope they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment