Thursday, September 8, 2022

Grandpa Lancaster



Lowell Lancaster was a dear friend and a hoot to know!  He cooked at our small Christian school in Chattanooga.  Often, he would burn the biscuits destined for the kids at break time.  But he had a ready solution: he would cut them in half, throw away the burned bottoms, and sell two tops stuck together masquerading as a whole biscuit.  He had a twin brother, Lindy.  When Grandpa Lancaster and I visited a church in Michigan where Lindy once attended, member after member would come into church and say, “Why, Lindy!  How are you doing?!”  Lowell would say, “I’m not Lindy, I’m Lowell.”  But after he had explained four times, he started saying, “Oh, I’m doing just fine.”  Grandpa had been an early riser for many years.  He had been a farmer, and old habits die hard.  Early in the morning, Grandpa liked to eat oatmeal cookies for breakfast.  My wife and I realized that everything in oatmeal cookies are healthy (except the sugar) and a great way to start the day.  Grandpa lived to be 91 years old.  Maybe he had something with the oatmeal cookies.  Job said in Job 12:12, “With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.”  When you get to be 91 years old, you have learned a lot, and you have made most of the mistakes that lead to learning.  And I am getting wiser each day, if you know what I mean.  Ha, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment