Saturday, September 17, 2022

Indian Teepee

I was coming home from Walmart in 2015 when I saw a billboard worker taking down a huge billboard wrap.  I stopped and asked him if I could have the huge banner.  He was glad not to have to dispose of it.  It was 20 feet by 40 feet, and I knew exactly what I was going to do with it: I was going to make an Indian teepee for my grandchildren.  I cut ten, 20-foot poles out of the woods and joined them at the top with a chain.  Then I draped the plastic billboard banner around the poles trimming it where needed.  That fall, I got the opportunity that I was looking for.  Our upper elementary school went to the Bill Rice Ranch in Murfreesboro for an overnight stay.  I volunteered to drive the school bus … if I could take the bus on up to Springfield where three of my grandchildren lived.  So, I bundled the saplings together, hung them under the bus chassis (there was still good clearance), put the billboard banner in the back seat of the bus, and off we went.  The grandchildren were excited when I drove up in the big, 66-passenger school bus!  But they were more excited when I unloaded and set up a 20-foot-tall Indian teepee!  That afternoon, I gathered up the grandchildren into the big yellow bus, picked up their cousins, and we all went to McDonald’s for ice cream.  David said in Psalm 127:3-5, “Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.”  I am fortunate to have five grandchildren.  I love them and they love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment