Monday, October 16, 2023

Big Shoes to Fill

 


Last Thursday, my thirteen-year-old grandson came over to let me help him work on his science fair project.  We finished quickly, and he was looking for something to do.  He wanted to use the pressure washer but didn’t have any old shoes to wear.  So, I let him use an old pair of my work boots, and he was happy.  Bennett enjoyed making the concrete driveway go from nasty black to sparkling new.  When he was finished, he said, “I thought those shoes would be heavy, but they are very comfortable!”  So when Bennett came over this Thursday again to finish his science fair project, he asked to wear my work boots again.  So I let him.  Then he asked if he could wear them home.  So I let him.  I’m not sure what his parents thought about him wearing my old work boots home, but Bennett seemed happy.  Later, as I thought about those old boots and my grandson, I thought, “I have some big shoes to fill as an example to my grandson.”  He was wearing my shoes, but I was keenly aware that he was also watching my life.  And I thought, “Does my life point my grandson to Jesus?  Do I model a Christian example to Bennett?”  Solomon said in Proverbs 17:6, “Children's children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers.”  I am proud of Bennett and I hope Bennet is proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment