Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Bragging ... or Not?

 

Five years ago, Bennett, my grandson, was telling me about his vacation on the lake in Alabama.  He said, “We were tubing behind this boat and my shorts were coming off and I was holding onto them with one hand and the tube with the other hand, but my hand was slipping off the handle on the tube, but I was hanging on with one finger -”.  And then he paused.  He looked thoughtful and said, “Granddaddy, did I sound like I was bragging?  Because if I did, I didn’t want to be bragging.”  My heart melted and I said, “No Bennett, you were just excited about your time on the lake.  You weren’t bragging.”  Because Bennett checked himself, he was in no danger of bragging.  Parents should teach their children discipline so that their children will learn self-discipline.  Solomon said in Proverbs 22:6, “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”  Hey, if we listen to that “still small voice”, the blessed Holy Spirit will keep us from bragging.  No Bennett, you are fine.  And you and God are going to do great things together.

No comments:

Post a Comment