Thursday, October 26, 2023

Wednesday Morning

 

I finished cardiac rehab Wednesday morning and got a cup of coffee before I left.  Two men were sitting at a table in animated discussion.  Another man was seated by himself and was reading a Gideon Bible that had been left on the table.  I got my coffee, walked past him, turned around to face him, and said, “Do you believe what you are reading?”  He was a little startled and said, “Excuse me?”  I continued, “I said, you don’t really believe that stuff that you are reading, do you?  You know, that Bible stuff?!”  He thought for a second and said confidently, “Yes, I do!”  And with that I said, “Well, I do too!  What are you reading?”  He smiled and said, “The book of James.”  With that, I quoted James 1:22, “But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”  Then he said, “Chapter four is a hard one for me.  It talks about the tongue.”  I agreed and said, “You’re right!  It’s easy for me to be careful what I say with most people that I meet in the day, but when I get home, I let down my guard and say harsh things to my wife.”  He nodded in agreement.  I went on, “She’s not that hard to get along with, but it’s just that I don’t watch my tongue like James tells me to.”  I went on, “I think that today, I’m going to be more cautious with my tongue around my wife.  Thanks!”  He smiled, I left, and we both parted a little more edified in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment