Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Tacky

 

My dear wife and I had an eventful evening last night.  Some was of our own doing, and some was done to us.  It started when I wanted to go to Panera Bread to get some potato soup.  But on the way, my wife scammed me and asked to stop by Hobby Lobby for some Christmas treat boxes.  But she had to go by each aisle just to look at the Christmas items.  When we got to the cashier, my wife had two gift cards, but couldn’t seem to get the first one to work.  The cashier called the manager, and the manager took one look at the card and said, “I think I know the problem.  This gift card is for Cracker Barrel.”  The other gift card did seem to work better (duh, it was for Hobby Lobby).  And when we got to Panera Bread, the girl behind the counter said, “We don’t have potato soup any more.  Sorry.”  So we decided to go to McAlister’s Deli across the street so that I could get my potato soup.  But McAlister’s doesn’t serve bread with their soup, so I bought a baguette while we were at Panera’s to take with us to McAlister’s (I know, that’s tacky).  At McAlister’s, I ordered my soup and sweet tea (of course) while Kathy stayed outside at a table on the patio so no one would see her pull out a piece of bread from each pocket of her sweatshirt.  I asked her if my side of the sweatshirt was the side with the used Kleenex in it.  She sneered and said, “Of course not!”  I could just imagine the next customer saying to the cashier, “I’ll have bread with my soup, just like that man outside.”  And Kathy had to have just a sip or two of my sweet tea (we were sharing a drink - tacky again).  When we got up to leave, I got a free refill on my drink (another cheap move).  Granny Whitely used to say, “Poor people have poor ways.”  Guilty as charged.  But we did get home with a left-over half cup of potato soup, half of a baguette, and a full plastic cup of sweet tea.  Hmmm … lunch for tomorrow.  Cheap again.  David said in Psalm 41:1, “Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.”  I helped many people to be “blessed” last night.  Yes, I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment