Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Earthen Vessels


Ten years ago, I received a Doctor of Ministry from Covington Theological Seminary in Rossville, Georgia.  All my family turned out to see me march down the aisle with the velvet sleeves and all the trappings.  But after the party that evening, I still had to take out the trash.  You see, with all the accolades, I was still just an ordinary man who grew up in the country.  All that knowledge was still held in my simple head.  Hey, did you realize that the glorious Gospel of salvation in Jesus Christ is contained in ordinary simple humans?  It’s like keeping valuable gold coins in an old peanut butter jar.  The value isn’t in the container, the value is in the contents that is in the container.  Paul said it best in II Corinthians 4:7, “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.”  It isn’t about us, we are ordinary; it’s about Jesus Christ, for He is extraordinary!

No comments:

Post a Comment