Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Don't Fall for Lies

 


I was eight years old and watching TV when a commercial came on that was fascinating.  This guy had a little mouse that ran across his hands.  As he moved his hands the mouse ran from one to the other.  For only a dollar and two Schindler’s peanut butter labels, the mouse could be mine.  I begged my dad and mom to let me order the mouse, and they finally relented.  Schindler’s peanut butter was a little pricey, but my mother bought a jar.  I ate peanut butter every chance that I had.  She finally bought a second jar, and I had the two labels that I needed.  After several weeks, my mouse arrived.  But I was so disappointed.  The mouse was a fake.  It was a blob of wax the size of a dime with a tiny string stuck on it.  When you tied the thin string onto a shirt button near your waist and moved your hands just the right way, it looked like the mouse was moving from hand to hand.  I had been duped.  My parents probably knew the scam, but I just wouldn’t be satisfied until I had that little mouse.  My disappointment was a good lesson in life: if something seems too good to be true, it’s probably a trick.  Hey, how often are we tricked by Satan’s lies?  He lies to us and we fall into sin.  Solomon spoke of the lies of drinking in Proverbs 23:32, “At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.”  Wine and alcohol may be relaxing, but liquor can also be dangerous.  Flirting women may be exciting, but affairs are deadly.  Our pride can lead us to places that we never intended to go.  Hey, wake up!  Think carefully.  Don’t be tricked by lies.  Lies about a little mouse … or lies about something much more sinister.  Trust in the Lord and not in your feelings.  Feelings may lie to you, but the Lord has nothing but your best interest at heart.  The good Lord will never let you down!

No comments:

Post a Comment