Sunday, August 2, 2020

Stuck

It was 1985 and my son Phillip and I went to a father-son retreat at Camp Fairview near Athens, Tennessee.  We had a great time with good preaching, good singing and good fellowship.  Did I mention good food?  Saturday afternoon we all went out near the pond.  Some men had their shotguns and killed skeet.  That’s what skeet shooting is, isn’t it?  Anyway, Phillip and I went around the upper part of the pond where the spring was feeding into some cattails.  Phillip had some old tennis shoes on, so I let him wade out into the water.  But soon, he became mired down in the mud, which was a foot or so deep.  He was almost waist deep in water and stuck.  I started out to get him, but he got free and came walking out with mud all over his legs … but with no shoes.  There was no way to find them in that mud.  And why would we want them in that mud?  Hey David said in Psalm 40:1&2, “I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.’  But wait, there’s more!  In verse 3 he said, “ And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God …”  Has the good Lord brought you up out of a horrible pit?  If He has, then sing His praises!  Hey, I’ll do it right now!  God is so good to me!  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment