Saturday, August 1, 2020

Mike Peck

When I was in junior middle school, I was a nobody.  I was quiet, not real bright, and certainly no athlete, so I was pretty-much unnoticed.  I had a handful of friends who were like me, but we got along just fine, thank you.  But, one day at lunch, a boy from a higher circle of friends spoke to me.  I was pleasantly surprised.  But after one sentence, Mike asked to borrow 30¢ for lunch.  I had 30¢ so I gave it to him, and he left.  My group of friends had noticed me talking to Mike and asked me about it when I sat down at the cafeteria table.  When Donnie heard that Mike borrowed 30¢ from me, he said, “That was a mistake, Whitely.  You’ll never see that 30¢ again.”  My new-found confidence melted.  I asked Mike about the loan a couple of times the next week, but he had a ready excuse each time.  A week after that, Mike needed 30¢ for lunch again.  We discussed his non-payment on the original 30¢, but he assured me that he would pay me the full 60¢ as soon as he got his allowance.  I gave him the second 30¢, but I made sure that my friends didn’t see the transaction.  And wouldn’t you know it, two weeks later, Mike asked for 30¢ again.  I reminded him of his promise to repay the 60¢, but an argument followed.  Mike stormed away when I refused a third loan.  He made it look like I was rude to him!  I never saw my 60¢, but I did learn a lesson.  “Neither a borrower nor a lender be.” - William Shakespeare  I should have asked around before getting involved with Mike, because he had a reputation.  But foolish me was suckered into his web of borrowing.  Solomon said in Proverbs 2:3, “A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.”  I lost 60¢ but I learned not to fall for fast talking.  At least I think I learned.  If I think it’s a good cause, I’ll GIVE money, but I won’t LEND money.  It works out a lot better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment