Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Resist

When I was ten years old, I said something that angered my eight-year-old brother.  We got into it, I slugged him, and ran.  My best move was to run through the front door and lock it really fast.  I made it through the door slamming it behind me but didn’t have time to lock it.  So I jammed down my foot against the bottom of the door while leaning against it.  In a split second, Phillip hit the door and his fist went through the glass panel.  As pieces fell all around me, I turned to see my dad.  He had seen everything.  The damage cost my brother and me $12 to replace the glass - this time with the shatterproof type.  Hey, when Phillip hit the door, I was “resisting” his attack.  That same word is used by James describing how we should “resist” the devil.  James 4:7 says, “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”  The formula is clear:  As we submit to God, we are resisting Satan.  And when we resist Satan, he will fold like a Bedouin tent and fade away.  Satan cannot compete with the Almighty.  Hey, the closer we get to God, the more difficult it is for Satan to attack us.  Just like I resisted my brother, we should resist Satan … in the power of the Lord.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment