Monday, November 30, 2020

Army Jacket


In 1961, I was hiking in the woods behind my house (which I often did).  Over against a tree, a tiny splash of color caught my eye.  I investigated and found an army jacket.  Not unusual for our area because we lived eight miles from the Edgewood Arsenal and ten miles from the Aberdeen Proving Ground.  There was no one around and no name in the jacket, so I carried it home and it became mine.  I liked it because I felt like it was my army uniform - an exciting prospect for a twelve-year-old boy.  I wore it for three years until it was just too small for me.  A sad day, because I loved that jacket.  Hey, when I am called a “Christian” I am taking on the identity of Jesus Christ.  Actually, “Christian” means “little Christ”.  Luke writes about the followers of Jesus Christ in Acts 11:26, “… And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.”  The followers of Jesus Christ were called by His name.  And still, to this day, the followers of Jesus Christ are called “Christians”.  Hey, I am glad to be called a Christian because I am proud to be identified with Christ.  But the question is, is Jesus Christ proud to be identified with me?  I am proud of Jesus, but is He proud of me?  Just like I wore my army jacket with pride, I want to wear the name “Christian” with pride.  Do you?  I trust so.

No comments:

Post a Comment