Friday, November 20, 2020

Lifeguard


In 1969 I went to summer school in college to make up some poor grades.  But that’s another story.  I had two classes: American Literature and Sight-singing.  I got an afternoon job at Moccasin Bend Mental Hospital as a lifeguard at their pool.  The patients enjoyed swimming and it calmed them considerably.  Each swimmer had a lifeguard assigned to them … an interesting ratio.  So, I took the Red Cross Swimming and Lifeguard course and learned many interesting things.  We were told never to jump into a pool save a swimmer unless absolutely necessary.  Throw in a life ring and the struggling swimmer will latch onto it.  If you get into the water with a drowning person, they are so desperate to get air that they will climb onto you to get out of the water, and both of you will drown.  The victim has no idea of how to survive … they are absolutely desperate in their struggle!  Hey, I’m so glad that God knew how to rescue me from myself!  He sent His perfect Son to take my place on the cross of Calvary.  Jesus took the punishment for sin that I rightly deserved and gave me eternal life instead!  David said in Psalm 138:7, “Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.”  Jesus did for me what I could not do for myself: Jesus saved me from my sin and gave me a home in heaven!  What a wonderful gift!  Hey, have you received that gift of salvation?  Have you trusted Jesus as your Savior?  Trust Him now while you have the opportunity.  Don’t wait.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment