Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Overhead Kitchen Cabinet Doors

 


Telling my four children what to do was relatively easy but telling my wife what to do was another thing.  First of all, she wouldn’t do what I told her to do, and second of all, it wasn’t my place.  You see my dear wife is an adult just like I am.  Actually, most of the time, she is more mature than I am.  But that never stopped me from trying to tell her what to do.  Years ago, I was frustrated because she kept leaving the overhead kitchen cabinet doors open.  She is a shortie and could walk under the open doors, but I would come around the corner and crack my head on them all the time.  One day after I harangued about the open doors, she stopped, turned around facing me, and said, “Does it bother you that I leave the kitchen cabinet doors open?”  I felt that I was finally making progress and said, “Yes, it does!”  To which she replied, “Well, I am putting you in charge of closing the kitchen cabinet doors.”  With that, she turned and walked away.  Although that wasn’t exactly what I wanted to hear, I was satisfied.  From then on, when my wife left the overhead kitchen cabinet doors open, I closed them because it was my job.  Paul said in Colossians 3:12&13, “Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.”  Hey, just as Christ forgave me of my sins and shortcomings, I should forgive my wife when she crosses me.  “Forbearing” means to give the other person a pass.  Let it go.  Don’t make it a big deal.  Am I glad Jesus forgave me?  Yes, I am.  Should I forgive my dear wife?  Yes, I should.  The bottom line is to love and be loved.  Always has.  Always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment