Saturday, November 28, 2020

Little Jimmy

 

Sometimes you have to go with what you have.  Let me explain.  I used to go over to my cousin’s house in the summer and spend the night with him.  Gene was the only son with two sisters.  I’m not throwing off on sisters, mind you, I’m just saying that Gene liked when I came over.  Their house was on the side of a steep hill with a driveway running down the hill to the house from the hard road.  Which leads me to “go with what you have.”  Georgie Shreafor from next door would come over and we would play ball.  But we always had to bat across the driveway because hitting the ball uphill or downhill was a problem.  Often a rolling ball would go into the culvert that ran under the driveway. Since the driveway ran straight down the hill, the culvert going under it was almost level and the ball would always get stuck in the middle.  And there was only one kid in the neighborhood small enough and spunky enough to crawl into the culvert: Georgie’s little brother, Jimmy.  But Jimmy was wise to us older boys, and he would negotiate BEFORE retrieving the ball out of the culvert.  Jimmy’s only condition was to let him play ball with us.  Jimmy was too little and too slow and couldn’t hit the ball and couldn’t catch the ball, but we needed him to retrieve “culvert balls”.  So, Jimmy got to play.  We realized that we needed him, and we had to let him have his way.  Hey, that’s the way I am with the good Lord in my life.  When trouble comes my way, I realize that I need God.  I am reluctant and proud, but eventually I realize that it is ME who needs HIM.  But don’t judge me; you need God too!  Whether you realize it or not, someday soon, you will need God.  And God has only one condition: turn your life over to Him.  Let Him control your life.  Paul said in Philippians 2:10&11, “That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, … and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”  Hey, trust God and let God have your life.  You’ll never be sorry that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment