Sunday, November 15, 2020

Suitcase

 


When I first went to Romania in 1990, Delta Airlines let me take two suitcases of seventy pounds each, plus a carry-on.  There were four of us who went, so we had eight big suitcases.  We rented an Opel Vectra, which was a small sedan with nowhere room for all of the luggage that we had.  We took ropes and S-hooks and strapped three suitcases onto the trunk lid and drove from Frankfurt, Germany to Romania!.  As I was preparing to go, I got out everything that I wanted to take.  It would have filled three suitcases, so I had to cut back.  I removed items and switched items around until I had my stuff down to two suitcases.  But when I went overseas for two weeks, I had everything that I needed to make it … but just barely.  Hey, often we fail to realize that as Christians, we are just pilgrims here on earth.  This world is not our final home.  We are here for just a few years and then we pass on to our eternal home - the place where we REALLY belong.  We need to live simply and frugally - just like me living out of my two suitcases.  Oh, there’s nothing wrong with nice things, but honestly, do we really need all of the stuff that we have?  My basement is full; my attic is full; my two extra bedrooms are both full.  Do I really need all of that stuff?  Jesus said in Matthew 6:33, “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”  Put God first and “live out of a suitcase” here on earth.

This world is not my home I'm just a passing through,                                   My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue,                                    The angels beckon me from heaven's open door                                        And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.                                                Oh lord you know I have no friend like you,                                                    If heaven's not my home then lord what will I do?                                        The angels beckon me from heaven's open door                                       And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment