Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Citizen


In the late 1990’s, I wanted to bring two Romanian young people to the US for a visit.  These had been dear friends since my first visit in 1990.  So, when I was in Romania in 1998, we went to the American embassy in Bucharest to see what could be done.  In order for a Romanian citizen just to get into the door of the embassy, they must pay $100 fee to a specific bank the day before, and then get into line the next day (with their receipt).  I paid the fee, and went to the American embassy the next day.  At nine in the morning, the line was already over two blocks long!  Each person had paid $100 just to get into the building!  I walked up to the marine at the gate and said, “I am an American.  What do I have to do to get into the embassy?”  He said, “Nothing.  This belongs to you and is for your use.  May I see your passport?”  I showed him my passport, and he let us right in (ahead of everyone else!).  I had privileges that others did not have because I was a citizen of the United States of America.  Paul said in II Corinthians 5:18, “And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation.”  I could bring my two Romanian friends with me into the embassy because I was a citizen of America.  As Christians, we can introduce others to Jesus Christ because we belong to Him.  We are citizens of heaven!  We can come boldly to the throne of God in prayer on behalf of others, and we can introduce others to God because we are citizens of heaven.  Hey, are you sharing the Good News of salvation with others?  Are you using your privileges as a citizen of heaven?  Hey, don’t be selfish; bring others to heaven with you and help them to become citizens.  Someday, when you see them in heaven, you’ll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment