Saturday, April 23, 2022

Tiny Rare Earth Magnet


Wednesday, I couldn’t get the dishwasher to start.  Bummer.  I held down the reset button for three seconds, and shut the door, but the little light kept blinking.  I turned off the machine and restarted it, but still just a blinking light.  I tried another cycle.  Still just a blinking light.  So I did what any man would do.  I googled the make and model of my dishwasher and described my problem.  Boom!  I watched a guy in Hawaii fixing his machine, and it was a simple fix.  Well, not really.  I checked for screws holding the door ajar.  No problems there.  Then I removed debris from the seal around the door.  No problem there.  The problem had to be in the door latch.  I unscrewed the lockdown screws and pulled out the dishwasher about five inches.  I unscrewed the latch cover plate and unscrewed the single screw that was holding the latch.  And there it was.  A tiny rare-earth magnet in the latch made a circuit in the door … or should have.  I used my trusty knife to remove the clip holding the magnet so that it could now slide forward a sixteenth of an inch more.  I put the screw in the latch, the screws back in the latch cover plate, and tried the dishwasher cycle.  It worked!  Who would have thought that a tiny magnet the size of my little fingernail would stop the dishwasher from working and cause me such grief?!  It reminded me of the problems that I often have with my tongue.  My tongue is tiny, but it causes me so much difficulty.  James said in James 3:5, “Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!”  James is absolutely right!  And as James said in verse 2, “… If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.”  If I can control my tongue, I can control my entire body.  Just like that little magnet controlling my dishwasher, my little tongue is the key to controlling my entire body.  Hey, how about your tongue?  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment