Sunday, October 9, 2022

Free-Range Children


Yesterday afternoon, I came around a corner in my neighborhood and almost hit a little girl on a bike.  Well actually, I stopped, and she almost hit me.  She was wobbling and couldn’t control her handlebars as she came riding towards my car.  Her older sister mouthed, “Sorry,” and they were gone.  These kids live on the curve in the road just up from my house where their dad has put up two caution signs.  I guess he thinks the road is his kids’ personal playground.  These are cute girls, but they are “free-range kids”.  They ride their bikes all over the neighborhood.  I remember when I was ten years old, and my grandmother accidently ran over a little boy rolling in a cardboard box in the road using it like a tank track.  She didn’t see Howard C. in the box but felt the bump.  Traumatic for Granny and for Howard … and for me.  Paul talks about being cautious in Ephesians, but not about cautious in the roadways.  He said in Ephesians 5:15&16, “See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.”  Paul tells us to be cautious about how we live our daily lives.  We should weigh every word and think twice before we speak.  Hey, be cautious today with the words that you say … and around the kids on Sparrow Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment