Saturday, October 15, 2022

The Rock


I have chert underneath the thin layer of topsoil on my place.  Chert is like crumbly rock and is terrible for drainage …. and I have a septic system.  In the late winter and early spring, when we have a lot of rain, I have a perfect storm (no pun intended).  About 25 years ago, I dug a pit in the back yard to handle some of our “gray water” from the two showers.  But about halfway into my digging, I encountered a rock.  And the more I dug, the bigger the rock got.  I used a pick and a pry bar, but it wouldn’t budge.  I wrapped a chain around the end of it, fastened the other end of the chain to my truck trailer hitch, and pulled.  The rock came loose, and my pit size was doubled!  I connected pulleys, cables, and chains around trees until the Egyptians building the pyramids would have been proud of me.  The rock came out of the pit, and I maneuvered it onto a prominent place in my new rock garden.  (Only because I couldn’t get it into the truck to remove it.)  In I Corinthians, Paul spoke of a spiritual rock that was first mentioned in the Old Testament.  In the book of Exodus the story is told of how that rock gave water to the nation of Israel and was a picture of Jesus Christ.  Paul said of Israel in I Corinthians 10:4, “And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”  I’m glad that I can depend upon Jesus Christ, my Rock, my refreshing Spring, and my Salvation!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment