Friday, November 4, 2022

Clamp or Hammer?


 

I was making some wooden boxes the other day and needed poplar wood.  The problem was, I didn’t have any boards wide enough.  So, I had to make the boards.  I got out four ¾” pipe clamps and several of my Bessy 12” clamps.  I laid out the narrow boards to be glued and got everything ready.  I stood the pieces on edge, spread the yellow carpenter’s glue, and laid them down in place.  I slid the narrow boards back and forth to make sure the glue was evenly spread.  But as I began to tighten the pipe clamps, the viscous glue let the boards slide sideways and out of line.  I didn’t have time to go back into the garage and get my hammer.  I had to move fast.  So, I picked up one of my 12” clamps and used the butt end as a hammer and whacked the narrow boards back into place.  It worked great.  As I tightened the clamps, I tapped the boards with my make-shift hammer.  It wasn’t really a hammer; it was just available.  Hey, that’s how God sees us.  Some folk are talented and skillful, but just too busy to be bothered with God.  Others of us are not the brightest crayon in the box, but we are available.  Paul said in I Corinthians 1:26,29,31, “For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; That no flesh should glory in his presence. That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.”  God often uses less than perfect people so that when something extraordinary happens, He will get the glory.  After all, it’s all about God.  He deserves the praise and glory, not us.

No comments:

Post a Comment