Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Picture and Frame


 

In 2003, Kathy and I used our frequent flyer miles to redeem a free trip to/from Romania.  On the way back, we spent two days in Madrid, Spain.  One day, Kathy and her friend, Diann were resting at the hotel, so I visited a local museum.  On exhibit was a famous painting by Salvador Dali, a surrealist artist of the early 20th century.  I had to wait quite a while in line to get a chance to see it.  It was a modernistic painting … not my type, but interesting to see.  After all, how often do you get the opportunity to see an original great work of art?  But as I was thinking about the painting the other day, I could not recall what the frame looked like.  I don’t even remember what color it was nor any detail, I just remember the painting.  And that is as it should be, because I didn’t go to the museum in Madrid to see the frame; I went to see the painting.  The craftsman who made the frame might have done a great job, but no one remembers his name; they only know the name of the master painter, Salvador Dali.  Hey, my life is not important at all, but Jesus Christ, whom I serve is very important.  I want my life to speak about Jesus and to make much of Him.  Paul said in II Corinthians 4:7, “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.”  The painting was important, and the praise should go to Salvador Dali, the creator of the work of art.  The frame and the frame maker exist only to accent the painting.  Hey, are you pointing people to Jesus Christ?  Are you glorifying Him?  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment