Friday, November 25, 2022

Country Store


 

In 1987 I took my junior high class on a field trip to Fall Creek Falls State Park.  We had sack lunches and stopped at a little country store just outside of the park to buy Cokes and eat lunch.  Many people stop there before going into the park, and they have several picnic tables around back.  A boy scout troop and several other people were already there.  Before getting off the bus, I warned my students about littering.  But the boy scouts obviously had needed my lecture too.  They were having a big time, carelessly dropping paper and plastic wrappers all over the area.  And their leaders paid no attention.  I was a little smug watching my students carefully stuffing their trash into their paper bags and then putting them into the trash cans.  But after the scout lunch was over, the boy scout leader stood up and said, “Alright boys, let’s police the area!”  And they did.  Those scouts went over the whole picnic area and picked up every scrap of trash leaving the whole place spotless!  I was stunned and embarrassed by my pride.  Hey, there are many ways to accomplish the same end, and my way is not always the best way.  Are you like me?  Are you often judgmental?  Paul reminded us in Romans 14:10, “But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.”  Just like those boy scouts answered to their leader, I answer only to my leader, the good Lord above.  Other people aren’t any of my business.  I have my plate full taking care of myself.  Hey, is your plate full?  Are you taking care of yourself?  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment