Monday, March 13, 2023

A Dumb Move


 

Have you ever done something, and almost immediately you thought, “I shouldn’t have done that.  What was I thinking?”  I know you have, and I did just such a thing last Monday.  And I know that you are going to like this story because it happened to me and not to you.  But since it could have happened to you, you’re glad that it was me and not you.  So, here it is: I am replacing the light bulbs in our church sign, which is 16 feet high, so I built wood scaffolding.  Monday, I had to move a 2X4 over a bit, but I was six feet off the ground.  I removed two screws but had to hang onto the scaffolding with one hand and the drill with the other, so I put the screws in my mouth to hold them.  But the friction of removing the screws had made them hot, and I immediately burned my lips, top and bottom.  I spit the screws out, but it was too late; the damage had already been done.  I gasped and wriggled in pain, but immediately looked around to see if anyone had seen my stupid mistake.  No one was around, so I continued to groan as I climbed down to find some cool water.  It wasn’t that bad of a burn, but it was in a sensitive place!  I often hold a nail in my mouth, but putting a hot screw in my mouth was really dumb!  If I could have just gone back and undone my decision …  Hey, don’t laugh at me, I know you have made bad decisions too.  Can you think of any decisions that you would like to go back and undo?  The dear Lord is ready to forgive you of those bad decisions.  But, like my blistered lips, you will still carry the marks of those bad decisions, even after they are forgiven.  But forgiveness is still sweet.  Proverbs 28:13, “He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.”  Do you want to receive mercy from the dear Lord?  Then confess and forsake your sin.  The Lord is ready to forgive you.  Yes, He is!

No comments:

Post a Comment