Thursday, March 16, 2023

LED Lightbulb


 

Saturday, I was working on the scaffolding on our church sign while our high school was having their semi-annual yard sale.  The sale was on the other side of the church building, but I saw two of the high school boys slinking around avoiding work.  Up on the scaffolding, I felt like a deer hunter in a tree stand.  I saw them, but they didn’t see me.  One boy had a light bulb, and both were looking for a rock to smash it with.  One boy found the perfect rock and they made preparations.  So, I called down saying, “Hey!  You’re not going to smash that light bulb, are you?”  They both shrugged pretending not to understand what I was saying.  I motioned for them to come over while I climbed down the ladder.  I was going to reprimand them for shattering the glass when I noticed that the bulb was an LED bulb, which is made of plastic.  I changed my tactic and said, “I’ll bet you fellows are curious about what’s inside of that LED bulb?”  They relaxed and nodded their heads in agreement.  I dropped the tailgate of my pick-up truck, got out my tools, and we began to investigate.  After cutting away the plastic bulb part, I showed them the diodes, resistors, and capacitors.  I am glad that I didn’t berate the boys.  We had a good time investigating, and the boys went back to work.  Well, maybe …  At least they walked back to the yard sale side.  Proverbs 22:6, “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”  Learning with a child is much better than teaching at a child.  And … the child learns much better if he feels like you are on his side.

No comments:

Post a Comment