Friday, March 24, 2023

Clearance or Clarance?


 

When I was teaching at Calvary Christian school, one year I had second hour free.  It was supposed to be my planning hour, but I never got much planning done.  Often, I would go to Office Depot for supplies, which was only a couple of miles away.  It was relaxing to get away from campus, if only for a few minutes.  I usually just browsed, but occasionally got an item that I really needed.  But always, I stopped by the clearance table.  Most days it held useless items that just hadn’t sold, but on this particular day, I found a stapler for $3, which I actually needed.  Yeah!  On the way out, the cashier in the copy department called after me, “Goodbye, Clarence.”  I suppose I deserved that reputation.  Hey, what do people think of you?  When they see you, what comes to their mind?  Generous?  Thoughtful?  Resourceful?  Or stingy, like me?  Solomon said in Proverbs 22:1, “A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.”  Every day, you are building a reputation, but you can tear it down in a moment with a careless act or a careless word.  So today, build your reputation.  Build it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment