Sunday, July 30, 2023

Beautiful Painting and Nice Frame


My wife and I enjoy watching the Antiques Roadshow, Monday nights on PBS.  A few weeks ago, they had a lady with a valuable painting.  She was pleasantly surprised at the appraisal of her painting.  She asked if it needed another frame to enhance the value of the work.  The expert replied, “No, this is probably the original frame because it goes well with the painting.”  The expert went on, “When I look at a painting, I should notice the painting and not the frame.  You never want someone to say, ‘That is a nice frame’. You want someone to say, ‘That is a beautiful painting … with a nice frame’.”  Hey, that’s what we as Christians should do.  We should point to Jesus Christ and He should get the glory, not us.  Paul said in II Corinthians 4:7, “But we have this treasure (that’s Jesus) in earthen vessels (that’s us), that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.”  People should say, “I see Jesus Christ … in Gerald.”  If people notice that I am a good person, they have missed the point and I have failed in my mission in life.  John 3:30, “He must increase, but I must decrease.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment