Thursday, July 13, 2023

Leverage

 


When I first joined Calvary Baptist Church, we had an old Multigraph printing press in the basement of the church.  The press was crowded into a small room with not enough space to move around.  We wanted to move it to a duplex just across the parking lot, but the press weighed about 1200 lbs.  The church basement had a ground level door in the back, so I developed a plan.  I used a flat prybar and raised one end of the press high enough to get a board under it.  Then I raised the other end.  Then I got a bigger crowbar raising the press from the board to a 2X4 height.  And then the other end as well.  I continued with boards and 2X4’s raising each end of the press ¾” at a time until I could get a piano mover under the press.  I lowered the press onto the piano mover ¾” at a time.  On the piano mover, I rolled the press out the basement door, onto the parking lot and into the duplex.  Once into the duplex, I used my boards and 2X4’s to raise the press off the piano mover, and then down ¾” at a time, end for end, until it was on the floor.  By using leverage, I moved the 1200 lb. press with minimal effort.  It just took a lot of time, several boards and two prybars.  Hey, investors leverage their money to buy property, and we at church should use leverage to reach our community with the gospel of Jesus Christ.  The pastor can’t do it all!  But if every member gets involved, we can leverage the congregation and get much more work done.  Paul said in Colossians 4:5, “Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.”  Don’t waste time, use time wisely.  Let’s leverage our time to work for the dear Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment