Thursday, July 20, 2023

Exit Ramp

 


Years ago, I drove my old 1965 Buick station wagon to a mission conference in Alabama.  The car was not very good on gas around town, but once it got up to speed on the interstate, it was economical for a long trip.  It had developed a leak in the radiator which was getting worse.  So, I put two gallons of water in the back and off I went.  I drove about an hour before the temperature gauge began to read hot.  I pulled over, let the engine cool a bit, and filled up the radiator with water.  At the next exit, I refilled the plastic jugs, and I was off again.  But this time I only got twenty minutes before the radiator went dry.  Overheating the engine was not good for the head gasket, but I still had five hours to go.  So, I spent the next two hours looking for exit ramps on the interstate.  Often in life, we look for exit ramps too.  We try to get out of trouble, but trouble just seems to increase.  And like my leaking radiator, we need to get our troubles fixed.  What a waste of time to keep limping along with trouble after trouble.  I was better off taking the time and money to repair the radiator than trying to push on.  And when I found a radiator shop and got the problem resolved, I could go on my way making good time.  Hey, are you limping along, doing the best that you can?  Do you live life in constant fear?  Are you looking for exit ramps?  Why not turn your troubles over to the dear Lord?  Why not surrender your life to Him?  You’ll be glad that you did.  I Peter 5:7, “Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment