Friday, July 31, 2020

Baseball Cards

When I was ten years old, I collected baseball cards.  I wasn’t a serious collector; I just bought them for the bubble gum and then put the cards in an old cigar box under my bed.  So, when I would need a “motor” for my bicycle, I would pull out the cigar box, take a baseball card, fold the edge with a half inch margin, and use a clothes pin to clip it onto the fender bracket of my tire.  As the spokes spun by the flapping of the baseball card made the “motor” noise for my bike.  Ingenious.  Or so I thought.  But now, as I think of those old cards, I cry thinking of how much they would be worth today.  But back then, a noise on my bicycle was more important than a baseball card collection.  Solomon said in Proverbs 8:5, “O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.”  Kids just don’t know the future.  The wisdom to know what something will be worth in fifty years is just too much for a ten-year-old to know.  How good it is to know that we can trust in the wisdom of God.  I know that as a young boy of six-years-old, I made a good decision: I trusted Jesus Christ as my Savior.  Best decision I ever made!  Even better than if I had kept all of those old baseball cards.  After all, it’s only money.

No comments:

Post a Comment