Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Heavy


In the summer of 1966, I worked for Barberry Sod Company in Darlington, Maryland.  We worked out in the country picking up sod from farmers’ fields, loading the sod on pallets, and shipping it to new apartment buildings in Baltimore.  One afternoon, a repaired sod cutter was delivered to the field and David and Ed started to unload it.  Being the “strong” high school junior that I was, I jumped up into the back of the pick-up truck and got the nose end of the sod cutter.  I soon learned that the front end was the heavy end because the engine was mounted on the nose.  As the two men slid the cutter out of the truck, the full weight of the machine came to bear on me.  And down it went … right onto my fingers.  As it slid off, my longest finger became my flattest finger.  Five stitches were needed to sew the tip back to somewhat normal.  I still have a scar there to remind me of that heavy sod cutter and my poor judgement.  Hey, have you found something to be heavier than you thought it would be?  I don’t mean a heavy weight; I mean heavy as in weighing down upon your soul.  Have you been up late at night worrying?  Has financial pressure weighed you down?  Have poor decisions that you have made pressed down upon your shoulders?  Does worry over wayward children or ageing parents constantly creep into your thoughts?  Hey, Jesus can take your burden and make it His burden.  He said in Matthew Mat 11:28-30, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  Hey, Jesus can carry the heavy burdens that you are struggling with.  And He has promised to give you rest.  Doesn’t the word, “rest” sound great?  Rest.  And the cross that Jesus gives you to bear in exchange is no problem at all.  It’s nothing compared to your sleepless nights of worry.  Hey, why not roll your burdens onto the strong shoulders of Jesus.  He can carry them all.  And then, enjoy His rest.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment