Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Maryland Bible Institute


In 1965 I was a junior in high school and the churches in our area got together and formed Maryland Bible Institute.  They held classes on Tuesday evenings at Bible Baptist Church in Elkton, Maryland.  My dad and mom enrolled in classes, and I enrolled too.  One of my classes was public speaking, which I was terrible at.  But my dad was in the same class, so I had to keep up.  One of our assignments was to memorize a portion of Scripture and recite it with expression before the class.  My selection was Psalm 37:1-7.  Forward to 2020.  This Sunday morning, Pastor Jamie mentioned Psalm 37:4 in his morning message, and in my mind, I quoted the verse as he read it.  Hey, being able to quote a verse gives so much more meaning to the verse than just reading it.  Psalm 37:3&4, “Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.”  These verses are imperatives: they are a command or a request.  The subject is ”you” understood.  God is commanding us to trust in Him and delight in Him.  Hey, this is God speaking, not your mother.  So you’d better do it!  Thank you, Brother Ron Holtz for making me memorize these verses 55 years ago and for teaching me the meaning of them.  Hey, memorize Scripture.  You’ll never be sorry that you did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment