Saturday, September 5, 2020

Sleepy


The summer of 1969 I worked at Bata Shoe Company on Belcamp, Maryland.  My Uncle Damon got me the job.  Bata had two shifts of eight hours each with a half hour for lunch.  That left only seven hours for third shift (my shift).  In order to get forty hours in, third shift had to work twelve hours Sunday night starting at eight and ending Monday morning at eight.  Since Monday was my first shift of the week, and twelve hours long, Monday morning I was washed out.  I had a six-mile drive home and could barely make it without falling asleep.  In fact, one Monday, I just couldn’t make it.  I had the window rolled down with my face in the wind, but just couldn’t stay awake.  I pulled over and slept for an hour - three miles from home!  And I’m glad that I did.  Driving drowsy is as bad as driving under the influence.  David said in Psalm 4:8, “I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.”  I was scared of falling asleep at the wheel.  And thank the dear Lord that I was able to think clearly enough to pull over and get a little nap.  Hey, don’t take chances in life.  Don’t take chances driving and don’t take chances with your eternal soul.  Don’t risk entering eternity unprepared.  Trust in Jesus while you can.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment