Friday, September 4, 2020

Short Cuts


OK, so today is “true confession” day.  I make my bed every day.  That isn’t the confession.  But I hate to make my bed.  I have several covers to straighten up each morning: the top sheet, the bedspread, a blanket on top to keep me warm and another blanket on top of that one to keep me extra toasty.  I know it’s summer, but I like to keep the house cold at night so that I can sleep better.  I pay the bill, so I’ll set the thermostat where I am comfortable, thank you very much.  Well, my dear wife has started peritoneal dialysis and has been sleeping in the recliner for a few days, so a sneaking idea popped up in my mind.  I figured out that if I sleep on top of the bedspread, I have two things less to straighten up in the morning.  When I get up, I just grab the corners of the two top blankets together, give them a flip, and I am done.  Pretty clever, right?  Now I’m getting to the true confession part.  I noticed today that the bedspread was getting a little dingy, and my wife is going to find out about my short-cut.  So, this morning I washed the bedspread (no easy feat) and dried it (Again, no easy feat).  But it didn’t come completely clean.  Now I’m really going to be in trouble with my wife.  My short-cut has ruined our bedspread.  Hey, often we take short-cuts in life and get burned.  Actually, God calls our short-cuts sin.  Moses reminded the Children of Israel that they should be honest before God.  In Numbers 32:23 Moses told them “… be sure your sin will find you out.”  I may slip a short-cut past my wife, but I will never slip anything past the Lord, because He sees everything.  And I mean everything.  Hey, are you cutting corners?  I mean more than leaving a stain on a bedspread?  Are you cutting corners in spiritual areas of your life?  Hey, it’s about time to come clean before the Lord.  After all, He already knows about it.  He’s just waiting on you to make it right.  Talk to Him right now.  You’ll be glad that you did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment