Thursday, September 17, 2020

The Gettysburg Address


It was 1960 and I was in the sixth grade at Old Post Road elementary school.  As I walked into the schoolroom one morning, I sensed a tenseness in the air.  I was puzzled … and a little worried.  Were we having a test that I had forgotten?  That was entirely possible, because I was notorious for forgetting tests.  After mentally checking off each subject, I realized that no, it wasn’t a test.  But what was going on … OH NO!  I remembered.  Today was the day to recite the Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln.  And Miss Geagen had been clear, “If you don’t have the Gettysburg Address memorized, you will stand up in front of the class and squirm around for the length of time that it should have taken you to recite it!”  I was in big trouble!  But fortunately for me, my name started with a “W” and Miss Gaegen always went alphabetically.  I slid into my desk and ignored my friends.  I could feel the stares of the students who were prepared.  I read and re-read the speech.  Then, Paula Abbott’s name was called (“A” as in Abbott).  As she stumbled through, I attempted the Gettysburg Address right along with her.  And the next person, and then next.  My intensity was amazing, even to me.  When Miss Geagen finally called my name, I was ready.  I stepped to the front of the room and began, “Four score seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation …”  I even surprised myself.  Hey, have you ever been in a high-pressure situation?  Maybe it was of your making, and maybe it wasn’t.  In either case, it is time to ask help of the dear Lord.  God can meet your need.  Matthew 7:7, “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.”  Don’t be afraid.  Ask God.  He’ll be right there with you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment