Monday, September 28, 2020

Silver Toenails


My daughter went to Hilton Head for a week of relaxation at the seashore.  On her way, she stopped by our house for a visit.  As she sat in our living room Friday evening, she said, “I need to change the color of my toenail polish.”  I asked her why, and she said, “My polish is silver - just about the color of little minnows.”  Good thinking, Becky, good thinking.  And that reminded me of when Peter and Jesus had to pay their taxes.  Jesus told Peter to throw a fishing line into the water.  And just a moment before, I can imagine a fish gobbling up a shiny coin off the sea floor - about the color of Becky’s toenails - and then taking Peter’s bait and being hauled on board Peter’s fishing boat.  Jesus told Peter in Matthew 17:27 to “… go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.”  I’m sure Peter was surprised.  And if Becky hadn’t changed her toenail polish, I’m sure that she would have been surprised too as she swam in the ocean.  But then again, Jesus knew all about Peter and fish and coins and Becky and … well, you get the picture.  Just trust Jesus.  He knows everything.  Today, yesterday, and tomorrow.  Really.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment