Monday, May 16, 2022

Camping in the Back Yard


Last Father’s Day, I got a tent from my children.  I thought that I had better get it out of the box before THIS Father’s Day rolls around, or I might not get another gift (ha, ha!).  So, last Friday, I planned to camp out (in the back yead) with two of my grandsons, Bennett (12) and Greyson (9).  I picked them up after Bennett’s football practice, ate supper at Chick fil-A, and got home about 8:30 pm.  I turned on the outside lights and we started to set up the tent.  Setting up a tent was much more complicated than I thought.  It had five different fiberglass poles (3 different sizes), a canopy, and various stakes, sleeves, and ropes.  After following the directions (obviously written by a Chinese worker who a knew a few English words), we got the tent up about 11 pm.  We finally got to bed on our sleeping bags about midnight.  I felt every rock and pinecone under the tent but managed to sleep a few hours.  At daylight, we got up, built a campfire and had left-over pizza and cokes for breakfast (don’t tell their parents).  I’m not sure why we needed a campfire.  We just did.  After breakfast, we went shopping for Legos and Hot Wheels at the flea market, another lunch at Chick fil-A, and a trip to Bass Pro Shop.  After a balanced supper at McDonald’s, I got the boys home at 8 pm.  I was tired but pleased that I had survived.  Hey, I want to make memories for my grandsons.  Memories of a man who loved God and loved them.  David said in Psalm 127:3, “Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.”  Our children and grandchildren are loaned to us from God for just a few years, and I cherish each moment.  They go by so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment