Saturday, May 7, 2022

Refuse Help


Today I went by Lowe’s and picked up a storm door for the back of our house.  No, literally, I bought the door, took it out to the truck and “picked up the storm door”.  I’m not going to lie to you, it was a chore for me to pick it up.  One of the loaders yelled out across the parking lot, “Do you need any help?”  Of course, I sucked it up and said, “No, I’ve got it.”  And I struggled on.  After I got the door into the back of the truck and I got inside, I sat there for a moment to let my breathing and heartrate return to normal.  And I thought, “That pip-squeak of a loader thought that I was an old man and needed help!”  Then I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw the old man looking back at me.  Hey, why is it that I refuse help?!  It would have been so much easier for me to have said, “Sure, I could use a little help.”  Why is that so hard?!  Solomon said it right in Ecclesiastes 4:9, “Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.”  Two men working together can get more work done than three men working independently can accomplish.  Of course, I can do almost anything by myself, but it takes me five times longer.  It is good to be independent, but it is foolish to refuse help.  Hey, the next time I am asked if I need help, I am going to reply, “Sure.  Thanks!”

No comments:

Post a Comment