Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Reminisce and Google


Our school had a magazine sale in 1995, and my wife bought a year subscription to “Reminisce Magazine” to help out one of our children.  We liked the magazine, but we didn’t renew the subscription.  About a year later, we got a free copy in the mail with an offer to subscribe again at a considerable discount.  We still get a free copy and an offer about once a year ... 30 years later!  I enjoy the free copy but have not been tempted to subscribe.  Hey, I just realized today that I have never once gotten an offer to subscribe to Google.  Google and Reminisce started at about the same time.  As a matter of fact, I have never gotten a single piece of mail from Google.  That’s because Google reaches out to a different demographic, and in a different way.  If you are going to reach young people, you advertise online.  If you are going to reach old people (who like to “remember way back when”) you use a magazine.  As Christians, we need to be wise to reach unchurched folk.  Paul said in I Corinthians Co 9:19-22, “For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. Unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews … to them that are without law, as without law, … to the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.”  If Paul were here today, he would advertise in “Reminisce” AND online with Google.  The old time Gospel of Jesus Christ never changes, but the methods and delivery of it do.  Hey, reach out to someone with the good news of salvation today …. with an old-fashioned tract or a new-fangled e-mail or text.  You’ll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment