Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Details


I like to do good work.  Even when the boss isn’t watching, the Lord is watching.  It’s in my best interest and in my boss’s best interest if I do my best.  So, years ago, I worked for a carpenter who was almost impossible to please.  When Robert H. cut a board, he didn’t mark it with a pencil; he would mark it with the point of his knife and cut on the right or left side of the groove.  He would not use caulking because he said that caulking shrank.  He insisted that I use wood filler (which didn’t shrink).  When I would finish installing baseboard in a room, he would inspect my work.  He wouldn’t look at the seam where I had joined two pieces of baseboard; he would reach down and feel the seam.  If he could feel where the seam was, he would say, “Sand it some more.”  And I would.  I chaffed while I worked for him, but he taught me good work habits.  Years later, I had to apologize to him and thank him for teaching me to be a careful craftsman.  Solomon said in Proverbs 22:29, “Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men.”

No comments:

Post a Comment