Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Yield


When I go home from Chattanooga, I exit I-75 onto four-lane Battlefield Parkway.  There is a wide grass median, and I take the first left, which is Aiken Road.  But as I sit in the left-turn lane in the median waiting to turn across oncoming traffic, I have a dilemma.  I should yield to the oncoming traffic.  But traffic coming towards me in the opposite lane turning onto the same road that I am turning onto has a yield sign.  They are supposed to yield to me, but because I am turning left in front of them, I am supposed to yield to them.  That’s the dilemma.  Their yield sign is improper … at least I think so.  But there is one yield sign in life that is absolutely clear: yielding to the blessed Holy Spirit.  Paul had a dilemma too in Romans 7.  He wanted to do right, but his flesh (sinful nature) wanted to do wrong.  Paul poured out his frustration in Romans 7:24&25, “O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord ...”  If we yield to the Holy Spirit, God will help us to do right.  No confusion whatsoever.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment