Sunday, December 25, 2022

Christmas 1965


 

It was Christmas 1965 when I learned the true meaning of the season.  My dad had just quit his job at Glenn L. Martin company and had started working at a new little shop in Edgewood.  Money was tight and dad was working overtime to make ends meet.  I was a junior in high school and my dad called me aside one November day with a special job.  He had found a second-hand tricycle for my little brother, but it needed some love.  Dad asked me to paint the tricycle for my brother for Christmas.  I took it next door to my grandmother’s trailer where I used her utility room for my workshop.  I cleaned, sanded, and painted the tricycle green - my brother’s favorite color.  I painted the handlebars and wheel rims white.  That Christmas morning, my brother was thrilled with his tricycle from Santa.  As he beamed at his new toy, I glanced at my dad, and he gave me a wink.  I got no thanks from my brother, but I was completely satisfied.  It was my best Christmas ever!  Paul quoted the Lord Jesus Christ in Acts 20:35, when Jesus said, “… It is more blessed to give than to receive.”  That Christmas, I learned the true meaning of Christmas.  God gave His very best to us when He gave is only Son at Christmas.  And I learned the joy of giving that Christmas, 57 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment