Thursday, December 8, 2022

Maryland Bible Institute


 

In 1965, I was a junior in high school.  The local pastors in Harford County, Maryland got together and started the Maryland Bible Institute.  We met on Monday and Tuesday evenings from 6 - 9 pm.  The various pastors taught classes in their specific areas of expertise.  I took a class in public speaking with Pastor Ron Holts and did well.  One of our assignments was to critique the grammar, organization, and delivery methods of the chapel speaker.  I analyzed each pastor’s preaching style for his 30-minute chapel message.  I took good notes in chapel for the public speaking class, but I missed the whole point of the chapel.  Chapel was intended to move me toward the Lord, not to teach me to critique the techniques of sermon delivery.  Hey, I would rather hear someone say, I “seen” something when he truly saw something than to hear someone properly say I “saw” something when he ain’t seen nothing at all.  Solomon said in Proverbs 19:1, “Better is the poor that walketh in his integrity, than he that is perverse in his lips, and is a fool.”  It’s much better to know what you’re talking about than how you deliver it.

No comments:

Post a Comment