Sunday, December 11, 2022

Old Friends

I played Santa at Hickory Valley Retirement Center this past Thursday ... I have a full beard, mustache, and the complete Santa outfit.  I was going from table to table "spreading cheer" when I recognized two old college professors of mine who were residents.  I immediately recognized them, but they didn't recognize me (of course, in my Santa attire).  I said to Dr. Delores, "Do you remember a young man from years ago by the name of Gerald Whitely?" Her face lit up and she began to say, “So, you’re Gerald ..." and I stopped her with a shhhh sound and a finger to my lips, "You don't want to ruin my cover, do you?" And she giggled with delight.  What a precious moment!  Solomon said in Proverbs 17:17, “A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.”  New friends are great, close friends are great, but there is nothing better than old friends.  Hey, contact an old friend today and share a word of encouragement with them.  You’ll be glad that you did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment